We have written some prototype skill code, run through the Alexa Gadgets tutorial and the Alexa Built-in tutorial on Raspberry Pi and we are aware of but have not played with the Alexa Connect Kit, so starting to understand the options a little.
It seems that the Smart Home API may be able to do what we need without us having to write fully customized skills and the fact that a user doesn't have to remember a skill invocation name is a sweet benefit.
Before we dive in too deeply I want to ask if its possible for a Smart Home device to trigger a conversation - e.g.
- a motion sensor triggers and sends an async event to AVS
- this event is passed onto our associated skill and a voice output is sent to an associated alexa device
- if necessary a multiple conversation can take place, i.e. as if a skill was opened on that alexa device
- can this be done? If so are there any limitations to starting the conversation on an associated alexa device
- if it can be done and there are multiple alexa devices in the home how can our skill decide which alexa device to use? e.g. can we have a default alexa device attached to that that smart home device? For example if the front door switch is triggered can we know to use the alexa in the hallway and not the alexa in the bedroom?