Amazon Mobile App Distribution Home » Forums » Fire Tablets » Development Tools

Thread: Kindle Fire HD 7'' device isn't visible by adb

This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 16 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Feb 25, 2013 3:39 AM by: Sachin@Amazon Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
mrflexile

Kindle Fire HD 7'' device isn't visible by adb
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 1:40 PM

Hi. I've got a subj problem and my circumstances are quite similar to those described in the post https://forums.developer.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=234&tstart=0 but I have PC platform (Win7). The point is in the beginning: after doing all prework from this guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html I cannot see my device as "Android composite ADB interface" in the device manager, as it comes in a form of "Removable devices - Kindle".

Any help would be appreciated.

Anshul@Amazon

Re: Kindle Fire HD 7'' device isn't visible by adb
Posted: Oct 25, 2012 10:59 PM   in response to: mrflexile

The Kindle device will not be listed under "Android composite ADB interface" in your Device Manager.

Post successful completion of steps in guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html, once you connect your device to your PC you will be able to see "Android Phone > Android composite ADB interface" in your Device Manager and the Kindle will be listed under "Portable Devices".

Please run the "adb devices" command from your command prompt and you should be able to see your device under the List of attached devices.

mrflexile

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 1:32 AM   in response to: Anshul@Amazon

Thanks, Ashul, but I did all the steps from guide https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html, that is the problem that they didnt help.

My 1st gen device is listed as "Kindle Fire — Android Composite ADB Interface", but my new HD device is listed as "Removable devices — Kindle" (no other items like ADB Interface are present). And of course "adb devices" shows nothing.

mrflexile

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 2:06 AM   in response to: mrflexile

One more exact detail: after completing all the steps from the guide (twice) I can see my Kindle Fire HD just as "Portable device — Kindle" in "My computer" section. The whole situation is very weird...

Anshul@Amazon

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 2:56 AM   in response to: mrflexile

This can happen for one of the 2 reasons.

1. The vendor id is missing in adb_usb.ini file under .android folder. Please ensure you have Vendor id "0x1949" listed in your adb_usb.ini file.
2. The Kindle HD device driver is not installed properly. To install the driver, please go to <ANDROID_SDK>\extras\amazon\kindle_fire_usb_driver, run the Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe, and then follow the instructions on the screen.

Please reboot your PC incase the KindleFire HD is not getting detected.

mrflexile

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 4:12 AM   in response to: Anshul@Amazon

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately:

1. "0x1949" is already presented in my ini file.
2. I have been installing these drivers several times.

Yep, since my problem I did reboot lot of times.

Maybe I should somehow delete presented drivers in a special way? Because I did it in a usual way but still system treats it not like device with ADB interface. Or can it be connected with my device (any kind of hacks, missing ADB interfaces, modules)?

Anshul@Amazon

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 4:53 AM   in response to: mrflexile
Helpful

I hope the "Enable adb" option is turned On on your KindleFire HD device.

Also you can try force updating the driver by right-clicking on your device under Device Manager and select the "Update Driver Software" option. Further, select option "Browse my computer for Driver software" and then "Let me pick from the list of device driver" option. This would show you the list of Compatible hardware and also "Have disk" button. Click on "Have Disk" & select your driver to force install your driver.

mrflexile

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 6:03 AM   in response to: Anshul@Amazon

Yep, option is "On".

Anshul, "Let me pick from the list of device driver" option helps — now I can see my HD in device managaer as "Kindle Fire — Android ADB Interface" (i suspect there should be "Composite" word). But still no luck with listing it in "adb devices" list.

Hadi@Amazon

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 10:39 AM   in response to: mrflexile
Helpful

mrflexile,
Can you verify the following:
1. That you have at least one of the Kindle Fire emulator add-ons installed. This is required for "android update adb" to function correctly.
2. That you are using the latest Kindle Fire USB driver (the latest is revision 2 at the moment).

If you are not using the latest revision, try the following steps:
1. Uninstall the current driver from Control Panel -> Device Manager and right click uninstall in Kindle Fire -> Android ADB Interface.
2. Update your Kindle Fire USB Driver to the latest revision via Android SDK Manager.
3. Run the installer in <android_sdk_dir>/extras/amazon/kindle_fire_usb_driver/Kindle Fire ADB drivers.exe.
4. Run “android update adb".

mrflexile

Posted: Oct 26, 2012 1:33 PM   in response to: Hadi@Amazon

At last I've got it.

I was desperate and tried everything. The thing that helped me was changing driver for my HD device from the list of presented drivers: I changed it from "Android ADB interface" (which was not trusted and I cannot remember where it comes from because I tried so many of them) to simple "USB composite driver" (cant remember exact name). And Kindle Fire changed to "Android Composite ADB interface" immediately.

But. Now I've got different set of drivers in the list of available ones, completely different set. Maybe the magic appeared when I dig into ini files according to this guide http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/13/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver/ because I've done all the steps one after another. I don't know. Anyway, one should be very careful with all these drivers.

Thanks a lot guys for bringing my spirit up!

Guess in a week or two you'll have our game on your market ;)

Anshul@Amazon

Posted: Oct 28, 2012 7:29 AM   in response to: mrflexile

That's awesome, this will surely help other developers as well.

Hope to see your app soon on Amazon Appstore. :)

Li-thium

Posted: Dec 23, 2012 11:51 PM   in response to: mrflexile

so i did what u guys r saying, and now i got my ADB working, but on the other hand the MTP driver is not working (i have win7), and usb compatability message comes out whenever i connect my kindle. and on the top the message becomes "USB cable connected" as opposed to "media device". any idea how to solve the problem ?thanks!!

Richard Stern
RealName(TM)

Posted: Jan 4, 2013 11:05 AM   in response to: mrflexile

I'm having the same or similar issue.

I have ADB enabled on my new Kindle Fire HD 8.9
I have followed all the steps here and elsewhere
- Kindle everything is up to date in Android SDK Manager
- all Android tools and SDK add ons are up to date in Android SDK Manager
- I have installed the KindleDrivers.exe
- 0x1949 is in my %home%/.android/win_usb.ini on its own line, typed not pasted
- My specific hardware id's are registered in %android-sdk%/extras/google/usb_driver/android_winusb.inf under both [Google.NTamd64] and [Google.NTx86] as:

;Kindle Fire
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0008
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1949&PID_0008&REV_0216

No matter what I do, my Kindle Fire HD shows up only as a Portable Device (looking in Device Manager and under Devices and Printers as well as the root view of Windows Explorer). I try to uninstall the MTP USB driver, but it immediately reinstalls it. If I try to Update Driver manually from the properties window, no matter where I point the OS to find the driver, it says that MTP USB Driver was selected as the driver. I try uninstalling and quick unplugging so it won't reinstall, follow the steps to set up the environment, reboot both machines, etc. and it still does the same thing.

Obviously net result is unrecognized by ADB but able to browse the file system. I would much prefer the opposite.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard Stern
RealName(TM)

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 3:51 PM   in response to: Richard Stern

FYI, for anyone with a similar problem. I was able to resolve my issue with the following instructions:

http://superuser.com/questions/85436/windows-7-driver-update-override

Basically, I was browsing to the folder where the KindleDrivers.exe was installing them. By using the browse option, Windows was still automatically deciding that the MTP USB dll was the appropriate driver, which makes the Kindle Fire HD show up as a Portable Device (for easy transferring of files through Windows and I imagine Windows Media Player). By selecting the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers..." option at the last step, I was able to select ADB Composite which allows my device to talk with adb.

Sachin@Amazon

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 7:20 PM   in response to: Richard Stern

Thank you Richard. This will surely help other developers as well.

Legend
Ace: 2000 + pts
Expert: 750 - 1999 pts
Guide: 300 - 749 pts
Enthusiast: 50 - 299 pts
Newbie: 5 - 49 pts
Amazonian
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)